Updated May 15, 2023
This is to explain how OMRON Device & Module Solutions Company (hereinafter DMS) ensures all of our OMRON products excluding industrial-purpose products (hereinafter, referred to as OMRON products) comply with requirements under California’s Proposition 65.
The Proposition 65 (or officially known as “the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986”) was established to protect California citizens from significant exposures to chemicals known to cause cancers, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
This Act requires businesses to provide warnings if any chemicals on the Proposition 65 List are contained in their products and may be exposed to Californians.
[ FAQ ]
- Q. Does Proposition 65 prohibit the sale of products containing any listed chemicals?
- A. No. As described above, Proposition 65 does not prohibit the use of listed chemicals, but requires businesses to provide warnings on their products if any listed chemicals are contained in the products and may be exposed to Californians.
Refer to the following website for details of the California Proposition 65:
2. DMS’s Response to the Requirements
(1) For OMRON products that will be embedded in other products and come into no contact with end users (consumers)
DMS has determined that an OMRON product carries significantly low exposure risk through dermal contact, intake as food, or inhalation if the OMRON product is embedded in another product and not directly contacted by end users under intended or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use.
(2) For OMRON products that will be made part of customers’ products and come into contact with end users (consumers)
Proposition 65 product information will be provided upon request. Customers are obligated to check for the presence of the listed chemicals in their products and take actions (such as providing warnings and reducing exposure risks) if required.
DMS requests our customers to follow “Cautions when handling OMRON products” in their assembly process, whether or not the OMRON products contain any chemicals listed on the Proposition 65 List.
Below is an example of such caution messages:
- Cautions when handling OMRON products
- Do not handle OMRON products with bare hands. Wear a dust mask, groves, or other protective equipment and work in a well-ventilated place.
- Use local ventilation equipment while soldering.
- Comply with local regulatory requirements for the work environment
These cautions can apply to the above OMRON products (1) and (2) to protect users from exposure to chemicals on the Proposition 65 List.
(3) For OMRON products that will be made end products (for end users) on their own
DMS checks for the presence of the listed chemicals and exposure risk, and take actions, such as providing warnings, if required.